My guest for Life on Purpose Episode #90 is speaker, mindfulness and performance coach, and author George Mumford, a.k.a. The Mindfulness Performance Whisperer. George is a highly acclaimed expert in sports psychology and performance and NBA Hall of Fame coach Phil Jackson’s ‘Secret Weapon’ to winning eight NBA Championships.
George’s passion is teaching mindfulness to high profile sports, business and academic teams alike; from the Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks — he taught Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and many other pro athletes, to senior global executives and systems. He is the author of The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance.
In this inspirational and wisdom-filled Life on Purpose chat, we discussed:
- Mindfulness itself and what that means;
- How we can all deal with all the uncertainty during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Holding hurt and hope simultaneously;
- The gap between stimulus and response;
- George’s own inspirational life journey from growing up in the rough parts of Boston to heroine addiction to recovery and decades of teaching and speaking about mindfulness;
- The Last Dance, the new ESPN documentary on Michael Jordan and the Bulls for which he was interviewed;
- The importance of a practice;
- The Cherokee tale of the two wolves;
- His Five Spiritual Superpowers;
- The concept of a Masterpiece Within each of us;
- and so much more!
To listen or learn more, visit the Life on Purpose website here.